30 Computer Facts I Bet You Didn’t Know
1. Another name for a Microsoft Windows tutorial
is ‘Crash Course’!
2. Bill Gates house was designed using a
3. By the year 2012 there will be approximately
17 billion devices connected to the Internet.
4. Domain names are being registered at a rate of
more than one million names every month.
5. E-mail has been around longer than the World
6. In the 1980s, an IBM computer wasn’t
considered 100% compatible unless it could
run Microsoft Flight Simulator.
7. MySpace reports over 110 million registered
users. Were it a country, it would be the tenth
largest, just behind Mexico.
8. One of every 8 married couples in the US last
year met online.
9. The average 21 year old has spent 5,000 hours
playing video games, has exchanged 250,000 e-
mails, instant and text messages and has spent
10,000 hours on the mobile phone.
10. The average computer user blinks 7 times a
minute, less than half the normal rate of 20
11. The first computer mouse was invented by
Doug Engelbart in around 1964 and was made
12. The first domain name ever registered was
13. The world’s first computer, called the Z1, was
invented by Konrad Zuse in 1936. His next
invention, the Z2 was finished in 1939 and was
the first fully functioning electro-mechanical
14. There are approximately 1,319,872,109 people
on the Internet.
15. There are approximately 1.06 billion instant
messaging accounts worldwide.
16. While it took the radio 38 years, and the
television a short 13 years, it took the World
Wide Web only 4 years to reach 50 million
17. 20.70% of virus writers work under contract
for organized crime syndicates.
18. Country with the highest percentage of net
users is Sweden (75%).
19. The first popular web browser was called
Mosaic and was released in 1993.
20. Amazon, originally a printed book seller
company, now sells more e-books than printed
21. The first two video games copyrighted in the
U.S. were Asteroids and Lunar Lander in 1980.
22. U.S. President Bill Clinton’s inauguration in
January 1997 was the first to be webcast.
23. Google uses an estimated 15 billion kWh of
electricity per year, more than most countries.
However, Google generates a lot of their own
power with their solar panels.
24. Up until the 14th of September, 1995, domain
registration was free.
25. Every minute, 10 hours of videos are uploaded
26. Over 6,000 new computer viruses are released
27. The first computer mouse, constructed in
1964, was made out of wood.
28. With it’s 800 million internet users, Facebook
would be the third largest country in the
29. The first hard drive was created in 1979 and
could hold 5MB of data.
30. If history had been tweaked slightly, it’s
possible that we would all be sitting in cubicles
with weird headpieces attached to our faces.